Tuesday 17 June 2014

I'VE ALWAYS LOVED AND RESPECTED ASA - Simi

         

                             THE EXCLUSIVE TWITTER INTERVIEW


Q. WHAT ARE YOUR NAMES AND WHAT PART OF THE COUNTRY ARE YOU FROM?

A. My name is SImisola Ogunleye. I'm from Ondo State.


Q. HOW WAS GROWING UP FOR YOU, WHO WERE THE MOST INFLUENTIAL FIGURES THAT HELPED SHAPE YOU?

A. I had a pretty cool childhood. Kind of spoiled and kind of not. My biggest influence was probably my mum.

Q. SO TELL US,DID YOU FIND MUSIC OR DID IT FIND YOU?HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN DOING THIS ?

A. Music and I found each other. I've been singing and writing since I was about 10. But professionally, I was about 16

Q. EARLIER THIS YEAR YOU DROPPED THE "RESTLESS" EP,WHAT WAS GOING THROUGH YOUR MIND PRIOR TO ITS RELEASE? 

A. I was actually, literally restless. I had a lotta stuff boiling underneath and I needed a way to let it all out.


Q. IS SIMI CURRENTLY INVOLVED WITH ANYONE ROMANTICALLY 

A. I don't like to kiss and tell. I'm a freak for my privacy. But I don't hide anything either. If you'll seek, you will find.

Q. ARE WE EXPECTING VIDEOS,FEATURES,MORE SINGLES THIS YEAR, AN ALBUM IN SIGHT?

A. Definitely. Videos, singles. All the works. I actually can't wait everyone to hear my other works. Albums will surely happen too.

Q. WHAT SHOULD WE EXPECT FROM THE SIMI BRAND?A FEW PEOPLE COMPARED YOU TO ASA,HOW DO YOU FEEL WHEN YOU HEAR THIS?

A. I'm not offended by the comparison but I know with time, when people pay enough attention, they'll see how very different we are. In the music, voice inflections, the pace of our music. I've always loved and respected Asa.  Meanwhile, as for my brand, my music is Afropop. a fusion of Afro music, pop, some highlife, even a little soul.

Q. WHAT INSPIRED "TIFF" AND "E NO GO FUNNY"?

A. I wrote 'Tiff' just as I was finally grasping the direction I wanted my music to go in. As for the topic, love isuniversal and timeless. Everybody's story. So it wasn't hard for me to go with that. E No Go Funny is a reflection of what it was like for me being approached by boys as a young girl. I have 3 big brothers and they don't let nobody mess with me.


Q. HOW DID YOU MEET Steve_eko AND @X3MMUSIC?

A. Steve_eko CEO of @X3MMUSIC asked to see me after he heard my cover of Drake's "Marvin's Room". He'd never heard of me before then

Q. DID YOU EVER HAVE DOUBTS OR FEARS ABOUT THE FANS ACCEPTING YOU AND YOUR MUSIC? 

A. I don't think I had doubts about acceptance. If anything, I was always so eager to see people's expressions on hearing me for the first time. So no doubts, just excitement. Eagerness.

Q. DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY TO ANY ONE OUT THERE IN PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS IN THIS MUSIC HUSTLE?

A. "Master your craft. Don't give up".

No comments:

Post a Comment